Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Am I Crazy?

I guess it goes with the territory to second guess yourself when you quit your job, put your house up for sale, sell the car and all your possessions and run off to another country to live.....

The condo is listed, and I've given notice at work. I have about seven more days of work left before I'm on my own. Am I crazy?

I just found out there is no way to get a resident/retirement visa once I'm already in Spain with a tourist visa. And it supposedly takes 3 - 6 months to get one here in Los Angeles. So my only option it would seem, is to go to Spain and return to the states within three months. And so that is what I'll do. I took care of my airline reservations yesterday and tomorrow I will put the deposit on the Spanish language school which includes a month of living in their student housing. If I like their housing I'll stay the whole time, otherwise I'll look for an apartment to lease short term until I return. When I return to the states I'll need a place to stay, so in the months ahead I will be researching my options for that. I could stay with family, rent a motor home and travel around the states, get an apartment in San Francisco. The possibilities abound....

Later today I'm heading over to my Mom's house to meet my sisters and to make decisions about the distribution of Mom's estate.

I haven't told my sisters yet that I quit my job, so wish me luck!

1 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

Good luck with the sisters! I read your intended adventure with a bit of nostalgia. In 2000,I also sold the California house and all posessions, quit the job and moved to another country to learn the language (the hardest thing I've ever done). I wasn't able to retire, but I reinvented myself and give English lessons now. I look forward to reading about your experiences. (Also, you may be able to get out of having to physically be in LA for the whole waiting time for the resident visa. You have to have a mailing address there, or you can have the correspondence go directly to a lawyer.)

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home