Friday, September 02, 2005

Should I Really Retire?

I've thrown that question out to God almost daily. I've asked that if I am doing something stupid, to send me a warning that I could not possibly misunderstand. I've also asked for confirmations if I'm doing the right thing.

I've been getting a lot of encouragement to go ahead with my plans! For instance yesterday morning on my way to work I was listening to some relaxing music (as I often do these days, don't like listening to the depressing news) but saw an unusual amount of police activity on the roads. I saw as many as five police cars along the roads on my route to work. This is a lot, as usually I see none. So I was thinking I may have missed some big news story about a terrorist threat or something and I switched the radio to the news. I caught the tail end of a human interest story and this is what I heard:

"and so she sold her house, her car, and essentially lives out of her suitcase as she travels around the world. And she loves it!"

I threw my head up and laughed. Then changed the radio back to the classical music.

Then this morning I saw an unusual bumper sticker which read: "Yes I'm an American. But I think it's time we see other people in the world."

Which is what I've been doing for a lot of years already. I'm sometimes embarrassed to be an American when I see how we bully the world with our militaristic might and force our policies down other countries throats. I've been to many countries and know there is a big wonderful world outside the United States! And that is one reason I'm leaving. I just don't want to live in an environment where the culture is all about consumerism and the pursuit of wealth. Here, the corporate world is king, and if you don't work for the "MAN" you don't qualify for social security, retirement, or health benefits! No, I choose to live in a world where family and friends are the most important thing, where what's in your heart is more important than your age, and where you aren't judged by how expensive a car you drive!

Barcelona, here I come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home