Monday, November 14, 2005

Learning a new language is FUCKING HARD!

Holy Cow I'm learning a lot of shit. They really pour it on in this language school.

I'm beginning my fourth week and we've learned the present, past and future tenses, and a lot of shit I should have learned in school about English but didn't and so I couldn't even repeat it here for you. In high school I did TERRIBLE in Spanish and here I am again learning it. I am doing much better this time around (understanding more) but I am still in the bottom quartile (in my opinion) of my class. It's just so fucking hard for me to get. It takes a long time to grasp.

For example we've learned how to speak the different forms of verbs such as the verb "to have."

In English you say:

I have: (Spanish: tengo)
I am having: (teniendo)
I had: (he tenido)
I'm going to have: (soy a tener)
I will have: yo tendre
I would have: yo tendria

How nuts is that?!

They keep pouring on new words every day and I have difficulty keeping up with the new vocabulary more than I do learning the new concepts. I can conjugate a verb just great, but recalling the verbs (and nouns, adjectives, prepositions, and ....) themselves is a challenge for me.

But "un poco un poco" - little by little I learn more Spanish.

It's been raining every day in Barcelona over the past week or so. Thunderstorms and periodic heavy rain. There's usually a break in the afternoon to go for a walk to have lunch or whatever.

With my health improved I'm beginning to think beyond the day. Will I stay past January and explore Europe before returning to the States? Or will I go "home" (although I'm technically homeless) as planned on my scheduled flight. I'm finding there are many possibilities for renting an affordable flat in or outside the city that would provide me a base from which I can explore the city and surrounding areas and the rest of Europe. It makes sense to do this while I'm already here even though I would technically be "illegal." I've not visited Sitges yet, but that seems like a good place to think about as it is a gay resort town, in a natural setting (the beach), has a gay nightlife, etc.

Adios for now, back to my studies.

1 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

I feel your pain. The hardest thing to learn is language. Keep it up, it does come slowly, but everyone at their own pace.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home