Wednesday, November 02, 2005

A peek inside my soul

Hola from Barcelona. This is a copy of an email I just sent to the wonderful woman who is taking care of my cat while I'm away. I replied to her very witty and open/honest email she sent to me.

Dear ----:

You crack me up! I'm absolutely certain you would be the life of any party! Any party would not be one without you present.

Isn't it a shame there are so many prejudices in the world? I never thought about what you might be going through as a widow. It's so silly! As an "older" gay man, I have my own issues. The gay culture is very much into youth (as is much of our society) and being 49 and single it is hard for me "catch" the boys like I used to. I don't have the wit and charm that you do; I used to rely on my good looks alone, but that won't work anymore! So I need to come up with some more tricks.

Part of why I came to Barcelona was to begin the journey to "find" myself. I don't know what I'll find but so far I'm beginning to think I am not necessarily a city boy. I love nature, animals, the stars, spiritual things. Crowds, noise, smoke, pollution, cement, traffic, don't fall into those categories very well. So would I be more content living in a forest or on a river or someplace like that? I don't know! Damn, I guess I'll have to try all kinds of places before I know where I want to settle. Or maybe I will never settle down, and remain a gypsie of the world.

As for finding Cafe Americaine, no I've not found it yet. Will I? I don't know. I always seem to find it when I'm in the "no smoking" California bars, but here? One step inside a bar and my sinuses are blocked and I can't breathe! Help!?

I'm glad you are taking care of Mr. Kitty. He is a wonderful person, and I'm glad you can keep each other company.

Take care,

2 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

Nature is important to me too, the older I get. Sorry about the flu. And I know what you mean about the late "bar" scene. I can never stay up long enough!

7:25 AM  
Blogger lost in france said...

Hmmmm, 49 eh? I don't think you are that old but I wonder if Barcelona is the right spot for you. You might need a smaller city. Maybe Valencia if you stay in Spain?

Here in France, age doesn't seem to be that much of a barrier....

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home