Sunday, October 09, 2005

Quintessential L.A.

I just got back from dinner at The Ivy with three actors. Two are working actors, meaning they actually make money at their trade, and the third wants to be in acting but for now is selling real estate. In fact the third is the realtor who represented me in the sale of my successfully closed condo. My realtor treated us all to dinner tonight!

The Ivy is a cool restaurant on Robertson that is frequented by famous actors and gets stalked by the poperazzi. In fact as we were just leaving, one could feel the eyes on our party checking us out and wondering "are they someone?" and "who are those people?" In fact as we were waiting for our car to come around, apparently some young actor from Arrested Development was just getting into his Porche. I say "apparently" because I was totally oblivious that anyone famous was anywhere near, as I talked to one of the lovely ladies in my party. It wasn't until my realtor was driving me to my "hotel" that he told me about the actor sighting. Neither one of us could remember the name of the guy (sorry star-stalkers!)

The whole evening was "so L.A." Gossip about actors who are in rehab (but "shhh" you're not supposed to know that.....), Merv Griffin is gay (apparently this is widely known, but HELL I never knew it until tonight), shaving body hair, waxing, plastic surgery, restaurants that are cool to go to, blah blah blah.

Last night I had dinner with family (or what's left of them) at La Boheme restaurant which is arguably one of the top ten restaurants in L.A. for my "retirement/going away" party. We sat in a booth on the first level and dinner was sooooo good and the wine even better. I was a little nervous about the dinner because I wasn't sure if my sister and I would be nice to each other. We were, and it turned out to be a fine evening. The young, gorgious waiters even did a little bit of flirting with me (or so I'd like to think). I commented on how I thought one of the guys was "cute" and my sister commented that she thought he was keen on me. I accepted that, and fantasized about having an affair with him the rest of the night.

Both my escrow and my Mom's escrow closed on the same day. Is that strange? I am very happy that those closings are behind me and the money is in the bank. I was kinda worried there would be an earthquake or a terrorist attack or some strange thing to screw up the closings. I believe the real estate market has topped out for now, and if things fell out of escrow I did not think I'd get full price again. As it turns out we got full price on my place and my Mom's place. Who the hell pays $439,000 for a ONE BEDROOM condo? That's what I got for mine.

You think I'm paranoid? The day before I was to sign loan documents to refinance my condo in Calabasas 14(?) years ago, the "Northridge Earthquake" hit and my condo was totaled. It was immediately red-tagged and uninhabitable.

The day before "911" I had two offers on my 3000 sq. ft. home in Reno which would not have happened if they had waited a day or two and I would have been screwed.

The day after I moved into my condo in Malibu (and I had not even purchased home insurance yet) there was a fire that swept through Malibu and I had to evacuate my place and watch helplessly as the fire approached. I watched from the highway as it burned passed, and I could feel the heat and felt the panic and horror as I realized I could lose my home in an instant, and without insurance! Everything turned out okay.

Only nine days left until I leave for my new life in Barcelona.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home