Thursday, November 17, 2005

Gay bar "Punto" in Barcelona

I finally made it out to a gay bar here in Barcelona. On Tuesday of this week the weather finally cleared, I'd finished my homework, had a couple glasses of wine, and decided to head out to the one bar (only bar?) I knew would be open for business before 10.00 P.M.

I hopped on the metro which is a couple short blocks from my student apartment and took the purple L2 line from Passeig de Gracia (near me) to Universitat and walked the few blocks to the bar Punto at c/Muntaner 63.

I walked in about 9 PM and was pleasantly surprised to see men scattered throughout the place. Most of the guys were in their late 20's to late 30's with a smattering of guys in their 40's. It was the guys in their 40's who all tried to make eye contact with me. I ordered a beer and had a hard time understanding how much it was (in Spanish). It turned out to only be 2.5 euros for the beer.

I sat at a small table away from the bar (and smokers) to relax and take in the scene. The boys there were relaxed and either enjoying their drink alone, or a few were with friends and enjoying each other's company. Two guys were already very drunk and could barely stand. Unfortunately, the two drunks both tried to flirt with me but I resisted eye contact. One however made his way over and sat down next to me and introduced himself. We had as much a conversation as possible considering my Spanish and he attempted to touch me wherever and whenever possible. I laughed heartily and removed his hand every time. I wanted to be nice to the first gay man I met in Barcelona, and so I was very pleasant and polite during our exchange. He suggested we go to the bar Dietrich which I've heard about and wanted to visit so I agreed and we left. When we arrived the bar was closed (it opens at 11.00 but it was still not time) and I was disappointed. Knowing I needed to get up early in the morning for class I told the guy I needed to leave and he kept insisting I stay. He wanted to make out on the sidewalk in front of Dietrich but I was not the least interested in doing so. It was quite sad actually. I got the feeling the man wanted to be seen by his "friends" making out with a handsome stranger so he could feel good and impress his friends. I did not want to play the role, and I left for home.

This Saturday night I plan to go to a gay club that is nearby. I hope this gives me a flavor of the gay scene in Barcelona. Finally. I'll let you know how it goes. Manana, more classes. Until next time.

That's how things look tonight from Barcelona.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home