Saturday, December 03, 2005

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger


On Wednesday of this week I decided I wanted to take a week off from class so I could pursue what I really wanted to do -- take pictures and explore more of Barcelona! I've decided I don't want to stay here long term, so why waste my time in class when I can be out seeing the sites?

An hour after I made the decision to cut class I got a serious stomach cramp. I had to leave class in a hurry. I don't know what it was, but it lasted for about 36 hours.

I decided when I was sick for the third time in Barcelona that "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger."

Yesterday it rained.

Today was gloriously sunny, but for a photographer, sun is not necessarily a good thing. I got up late, and so I ventured into the city when the sun was bright and high, which is not a good thing for pictures -- lots of shadows and really bad lighting. A professional photographer will take his best shots just at first light and sunset.

And so, dear reader, I ventured out today to try and capture glorious pictures of Barcelona for you, but I am very disappointed in the results! I share with you a few but I am not very happy with them. I promise to get better shots soon. After all, I am playing hookie all next week, so I should be able to come up with something!

I set out on foot to the Barcelona Cathedral where I found the Christmas vendors had set up shop in the space before the Cathedral. The Cathedral itself is under renovation and it's facade is covered with a screen. No photo opp's here.

I walked through the narrow streets of the Barrio Gotic by the Picasso museum and on toward the Barcelona Zoo. From the zoo I proceeded to the adjacent parks and down the stretch of walkways to the Spanish version of the "Arc de triumph." Not quite Paris, but it tries.

I caught the very crowded Saturday afternoon metro near the Arc de triumph and headed to the Placa Espanya so I could head up to the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya (MnAC).

After touring everything there is to see there, I was starving to death, and decided to treat myself to a luxurious meal at the restaurant on the top floor of the museum overlooking the city on this sunny, bright day. This is actually the first time I've treated myself to an expensive restaurant. It was definitely worth it.

I returned via metro to Plaza Catalunya near my school/home and it was so fucking crowded with Christmas shoppers that I found myself annoyed and frustrated. I'll comment on that later, but for now, some of my (I think disappointing) pictures from today.


1 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

I don't know, I think the pictures are wonderful. Great eye!

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home